Friday, November 18, 2022

Is Luck Even A Real Thing?


I don't think I believe in luck, as such.  What a belief in luck really is, is a belief in randomness without reason. Isn't it?  I think it takes a great deal of faith to believe in the actually random.  A random universe would be massively irrational and even more dangerous than it is now.  I don't even like to think about it.  I am not sure life could exist in such a universe, or even if there could be a universe in a random state.  

I believe that there is the appearance of randomness.  This is because only God could know all the moving parts.  So when Tom Petty sings You Got Lucky, it's really a case of You Were Blessed.  

I landed right back in sermon land!  

I ratted around through a lot of definitions of blessing.  In general it looks like a blessing is a gift.  I wanted to see if there was an element of it being an unearned favor from God, or even just another person.  There is that aspect for sure because blessings from God arise out of his love which is mostly unearned.  Right?

So, why the heck do so many lives have so much pain?  Where are their blessings?  These are deep deep weeds, but we have to remember our doings and the doings of all who went before us have had real results.  Some of them are awful results.  We inherit the troubles of our ancestors and add our own.  In spite of all this, God does bless us as much as we will let him.  Other people do bless us also, and we can practice blessing them.

I guess I wanted to say that if we receive a blessing of some kind, small or large, our joy is more complete if we say "I was blessed", not "what luck!"  Because if you are blessed there is a giver who loves you and that is a very nice thing to remember.

It's still a really good song and I sort of ignored what is was about, which was a rather clever way of stating that the girl in the song is really receiving a great blessing of real love, and she better appreciate it!!!  lol!

The old English word is bletsung.  I bet there is a ghost word buried in there.  Sung might mean song..so a blessing being a kind of song.  But that's for another day.  Its getting late!

Simple words.  Just some things I was thinking about.             Shalom, as always.


And just for fun:


No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year