Saturday, November 12, 2022

Art***Artifice***Artist


 Ok, last afternoon the resident graphic designer in training, I guess that's what he is doing, he designs logos and such, came down here with a wee drawing tablet.  He, the grandson, also installed an incredibly complete program for producing digital works of art.  Krita.com, open source and fairly intuitive, as far as I can tell.

The unfortunate cat up there is the very very first thing I ever did with this setup.  I can see that there is a fairly steep learning curve and a lot of hand/brain training to get used to drawing that way.  There is an offset that isn't there with normal drawing.

Twenty years ago I used to fuss and argue with the boys hanging around, friends of various kids, about what art was.  I insisted that digital images were just that, images of....not actual art pieces.  I stood my ground like a dragon that actual art had to be made of some kind of physical material.

A painting is a physical object made of wood or canvas and various paints.  I still really think that.  But I can see the obvious utility in digital images.  So much of our lives are lived on screen now.  So, I partially laid down my arguments and let it be.

Now I have to figure out how to get good enough at it that I don't embarrass myself any further! 

☆🔯☆




No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year