Thursday, October 6, 2022

The Other Rooster Story


I suppose this has to be dedicated to our rooster expert, Farnsworth!

Let me set the scene for you. Its around 1969.  My father has decided to go visit his older brother, as an act of familial duty.  Uncle Doyle was living on a large sailboat in Anacortes WA.  He was diabetic and had had one foot and lower leg removed because of that.

My father was the youngest of his family, his mother's baby boy, and rather delicate in his sensibilities.  Not so Uncle Doyle.

Doyle is sitting there looking like something from Deliverance, with one foot, in a big chair.

Then he looks sly and starts telling me this story about a rooster who had lost all his feathers for some reason.  Perhaps a bad shock or something.  Anyhow since he  had no feathers he had to start wearing overalls.  Now to do his duty as a rooster he had to be able to hold a hen down and take his overalls down at the same time.  So he went around with one strap updone, so that he could hang on to the hen with one claw and unhook the overall strap with the other.....

Welp, as DDQ would say,we left soon after.  I suppose I can see dad's point of view.  Here he brought his tender daughter, stop laughing!, to see her old uncle and the uncle was disrespectful enough to tell her a naughty story about a rooster.

I was surprised to see that I could find a photo of a rooster in overalls!  However, you will observe that he has all his feathers, as far as we know, and has both straps buttoned up!



No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year