Thursday, October 13, 2022

Imagine The Prep Work For Time Travel

 Also, imagine, trying not to get killed somehow when you get there.  

I am positing that you want to travel to a real past of this present world, not some alternate universe thing.  Somewhere not too far off culturally, so they don't kill you on sight....like if you landed in Gengis Kahn's camp for some reason.

We were looking at old favorite cars yesterday.  What if the time machine looked like a 39 Buick, if I were going to go visit the milieu of my birth time and place.

Some place approximately like this.  I say a 1939 Buick because a new one that year and place would stick out too much.  Bankers and such drove new ones.

It might not be too hard to find clothing that dated from that time.  A person could study the archived news of the local papers.  You could listen to some recorded voices, etc etc.  It would be harder to have the right money, but maybe could be done.  How long would you want to stay? Would you settle in your own past or just check it out for a couple of days?

Of course I don't think a bunch of farmers are going to kill you for being a little bit off.  They might just think you were from back east somewhere.

I have been musing for a long time, hah, on a time travel story that involves going back to the time of Jesus.  Now this gets squirrely.  The prep would be hard.  You would have to learn Aramaic well enough to stay out of trouble.  Manners would be hard.  What level of society are you?  What do you use for money?  How to get the right clothes.  Maybe they would have to be made, by hand, with hand woven fabric gotten from some agreeable weaver.

Then the story.  I was trying to imagine, if this were even in the purview of story, meeting Him and being sent home forthwith!  Is there a line he says in the NT that could be used for that purpose?  But then I veer off.  I can't do that.
 
But maybe I could have my time visitor just be in the area and hearing about a Man. 
I think others have tried this in ways, but maybe not as a time travel yarn.  
What is the purpose of such a story?  Just an exercise in mind exploration?
Maybe it would be fun.  Maybe it would cause one to look at one's own time with new eyes.  

Another time travel idea I had was to explore the time and place of, say, my own life shortly after my death or for a year or two after...just to see what was left of my existence here.  But perhaps that is for another day.





No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year