Friday, October 21, 2022

Just As Good As I'm Forced To Be?

What does it count for?  If I behave myself it won't save my soul.
Why does our behavior matter?
What keeps me in line, if I am?
Is it fear of fire?
Possibly this shows a misunderstanding of reality.

If I love my Lord God I will study to find out what he considers to be proper living.  Its both simple enough for your pre-school child to understand and also meat for scholars of the Book.

Ha Rabboni, the dear Teacher in Hebrew, said to love the Lord your God above all things and your neighbor like you love yourself.  Its simple, but deep.  What is love? How can one love his neighbor like he loves himself?  Who is my neighbor anyhow?  Well, in obvious terms, he is one who lives along side.  This could be on any plane.  To love him in this way is to what, do that which benefits him the most?  To help him to Heaven.  To be a friend?  If he needs a couple of things provide them?  

In addition, how do you love God?  Its emotional sometimes and a great deal of the time merely a matter of will.  I will obey whom I love, if he is someone I should obey.  Obviously.  lol.  

But, sparks fly out of my old nature.  I am stubborn and lazy.  My heart is in the right place, but my flesh is a real rounder.
Every day has the same decisions to be made.  It isn't going to be automatic.  Always decisions. Some of this stuff is cultural I think.  What might be impossibly rude and crude some times and places is unremarkable in other places and times.  

I need a humble and contrite spirit.  I am in deep doodoo.  God is God and I am me.  Its about making a connection.  Filling in the valleys and making low the hills.  If it were up to me by myself I would be lost, as would anyone be.


That's how it looks to me tonight.  With tears.




I should mention, while I'm at it, that this was drawn and painted freehand by my youngest girl a couple of years ago, as a Christmas card for me to copy and use.

No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year