Thursday, December 22, 2022

To Me It Looks Like A Dream Of A Childhood


 I'm not likely to say anything that we all don't already know.  

I watched this little video tonight and it reminded me of a lot.  It made me lonely for the nearness to the earth expressed by these children going about their natural business.  They were so accomplished in the simple acts of making a living in a remote, almost primitive environment. It was somewhat like that when I was a child.  My sibs and I were also grubby forest creatures.

I was so impressed with the cooperation displayed by the children, helping each other through gates and so forth.  They helped each other prepare food, though I did see a mom or two in there giving help and direction.  One of the kids seemed to even be running the boat motor.  In others of the Ulengovs' videos I have seen quite young boys doing quite significant manly work!  If all is good, they love to help and do real work.

I hope it's not as bad as it looks out there in America.  I hope there are farm kids and small town kids who know they have a real role in the business of life.  Of course the same could be said about urban children. Boys and girls with something to do that matters to themselves, and to their adults don't seem to grow up hopeless and at loose ends.  I hope America's children are not all protected to death!  Life has built-in lessons.  It's supposed to hurt a bit when you mess up.  A child who is protected from these lessons is hobbled.

Some voices that I hear have given up on the children, but I haven't.  I believe that they can rise to the situation life presents them, given a chance.  I know very well that they can shift gears, read cursive, read an analog clock and figure out the phone book, if the need arises.  

It looks like the day could be coming when there are not even very many children surviving birth and childhood.  God forbid, but some bad stuff is happening just recently.  They are not extra baggage.  They are not a drag.  We should love them like their Father in Heaven loves them.


No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year