Friday, December 16, 2022

I Thought It Might Be Fun To Just Yak About Cooking And Recipes Today

Since we've been hitting on the subject of food and the inevitable human activity of preparing it, I thought it might be fun to see if any of you would like to post recipes or procedures, that you enjoy.


 It takes a new adventure, or some new toy to get me very interested, but there are moments.  I like to transform things by fermentation.  All the usual stuff, but I have not made kimchee or hard cheese yet.  I did make a lot of tofu.  I am a grainola Boomer after all.

I also like to pickle things such as corned beef.  That's fun.  I bought equipment for making sausages, a grinder and sausage stuffer and casings, but have not actually done it yet.  Sounds messy, but I could control what went into the things.

Today I received in the mail a little bottle of a spice mixture called baharat from a sweet friend at MOTUS, Zephyr.  She and her brother have their own formula! It is a middle eastern spice mixture good for meats.  I used it on chicken thighs tonight and it was very nice. It seems related to curry, but different.

What Is Baharat Spice?
Baharat is to Middle Eastern cuisine as garam masala is to Indian food. It is a ubiquitous seasoning that can vary slightly in ingredients depending on where the spice blend is made. All of the spices are ground into a fine powder and then used in recipes or sprinkled over finished dishes as a condiment. The paprika, nutmeg, cumin, and cinnamon lend a rust hue to the spice blend.
🐫
I believe I would like to get into grilling some.  That requires more equipment!  It would just be a small one.  
One of the funny things about my long life of cooking, starting sometime back in the early 60s, for my sibs after school, and going on to be a young adult, is that it's very hard to remember what in the world I must have been cooking back then.  Goodness knows.  Though I do seem to remember some rather fraught stir-fries!  I had an older lady art teacher friend who was a bit of a San Francisco type, of the old days.  She lived without refrigeration in her house!  I learned how good mushrooms simply sauteed in a lot of butter and served on brown rice could be, from Sally.  I still love that.  Simplicity itself.
Back then everybody was cooking lentils.  I got over them.  I don't like them anymore at all.  Still love pintos.  I got over herbal tea too.  lol. Coffe or black tea now.
So! Spin a yarn, tell a tale, what'cha got?  Spill it!

No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year