Saturday, December 10, 2022

That Question About Santa Claus


 I never was a fan of Santa Claus.  I realize this may get me into trouble. I never told my children about him.  I didn't approve of telling them something which they would find out later was not true.  Why should they later believe anything I told them about a God which they could not see? My enemy was my own mother, filling their heads, to the best of her ability, with the concept of S.C.

I did my best to let them be flexible when people made reference to the story.  I didn't say much directly to the children or my mother, but I think she knew I was not teaching that at home.  By the time the kids were a few years old, they knew it was just a story some people liked to play pretend with.

I understand, over many years I have been told what a grump and stick in the mud I am.  I bet some of you dear people think I'm pruning things too close.  Maybe, maybe not.

I have a funny story, in a sense, on the subject.  Many years ago, when I was a small child, maybe under five years old, we were at my grandparent's place in Idaho for Christmas.  So, without me or other kids noticing, my grampa slipped out of the house and climbed up on the roof.  He started stomping around, jingling bells and shouting Ho Ho Ho.  My true emotion was the little kid version of "oh hell!  Its's true!" It was not fun.

Oh, there is another one.  One year, my dad, who was stout, dressed as Santa for a party at his work.  But on his way to the party, he decided to pay us and our small son, and first child, a visit, unannounced.  So anyhow, suddenly the door flies open, he leaps in, in full Santa getup, yodelling HO Ho Ho!  My son was so frightened that he hid behind and door and cried.  Dad was so appalled that he had frightened the kid, that he stood there dressed as he was and wept too.

I never took any small child for the photo session either.  Life is scary enough for little guys.

I figured a special time, with decorations, gifts and special goodies and visits with special people just had to be good enough, and was actually true.

No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year