Friday, December 2, 2022

Another True Story Of The American West

 The Great Blizzard of 1949

This particular storm, it is true, is portrayed here in its Wyoming version.  But, it spread further than that.  It hit southern Idaho also.  I was an infant that year out in a stone house on a dryland farm.  It was my dad's parent's place.  My parents were only 17 and 20 years old and lived with the old people, helping run the farm.

A Terrifying, Deadly Storm Struck Idaho In 1949 And No One Saw It Coming

"Idaho, with its tumultuous geology, diverse weather regions, and abundant scenic beauty is no stranger to the darker forces of nature and nor the impacts of its human residents. In 1910, the Big Burn ravaged Northern Idaho, the product of a grueling summer storm. In 1976, the Teton Dam collapsed, devastating the eastern part of the state. But Idaho’s storm of the century created a winter disaster that was just as unexpected and deadly, the most intense seen since the 1800s, and far more brutal than any other weather-related event seen since. In 1949 – a mere two generations ago – an unprecedented cold snap tore through southern Idaho, virtually isolating the southern half of the state for weeks and shutting down the economy for a month. But low temperatures are only part of this chilling story. Do you remember this terrifying winter natural disaster?"

This photo does not show how deep the snow got out in the sticks.  My parents told me that the snow covered the tops of the fences.

This photo looks like maybe it was from an earlier storm, but you get the idea.  And it is an Idaho photo.
❆❅❄❆❅❆

My maternal grandparents lived in the same area, but no one had phones at that time, and when they wondered about my welfare, there was no way to find out except by a visit.  So my mom's dad hitched his horses to a sleigh, and came and checked the situation out.  At that point all was serene though snowed in.  But during that winter, in the bad weather, I got pneumonia.  Now, these people did not believe in doctoring.  They thought it was unChristian to resort to the doctor.  They really did.  There were deaths in the family as a result of this stricture.  
Somehow, maybe they prayed enough, and believed enough, I survived.  My heart has never been great though.  I blame pneumonia.

My mother being very young, just a kid herself, probably is the reason I love snow.  She was always excited when it snowed and we kids learned that attitude from her.  It's just a breathless silent moment when it starts.  Hard to explain adequately.  And then, when it piles up, drama!
I know its a pain to people who must go to work in it.  In fact, Walmart cancelled my grocery order yesterday.  I think it was because their delivery people didn't want to be climbing stairs and so on in the snow.  Too many possibilities that include random accidents.  I get it.  It would have been nice if they had told me they cancelled it. One point down for Wally World.  The roads are clear though.  It's just frozen this morning.  They are prognosticating rain though, rain on snow is the most depressing weather I can imagine.

This shot is from Wyoming that year.
Trains were completely stalled, while food and supplies had to be dropped in by plane.

You see how it is?  My own private Idaho mania.  Snow.  Lots and lots of snow!

It's cute and corny.  You should listen.

No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year