Saturday, July 16, 2022

The Whole World Says OK, Hi and Bye

 One of the things I noticed in people's speech when I was traveling in Europe with my daughter was that they all say "OK" for agreement, "hi" when they meet you, and "bye" when you part.

I wondered if it was because we are Americans.  But then I noticed the same thing even on tv and movies.  Not a big deal.  But it does go towards the idea that American English is the universal language, more or less, of planet Earth.

I like to think about words.  One of the reasons I miss Rocketride so much is that he was a word nerd too. 

I got to thinking about my use of OK when talking online.  I think it could sound abrupt, clipped, maybe a bit dismissive?  But I wanted to say that when I say OK, its altogether cheerful.  We have this figured out.  You got this.  Its like a little grin in typeface.

I wonder if MM noticed any of this in Saudi.  I did notice some of it in Israel.

My head is better, no shiny crinklies in my vision. 

            What A Ride it been so far!   Buckle up for more!

No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year