Thursday, January 26, 2023

Lucky Socks As A Sort Of Metaphor

 Apparently anything, even a superstition, can be made into a product and sold.

Grab Your Lucky Socks; We’re Talking Fan Superstitions and the Psychology Behind Them   

🧦
That is just one example from all of the material available about how people use magical thinking about sports.  Most of the material I read was from the fan's point of view.  I was under the impression that it was the players that had the lucky socks to help them win.  My theory is that it began with players and continues for fans.
πŸ€

To broaden the idea a little, I was thinking of a little joke I have about the things I do.  I like to have the dishes washed and everything in the room where I paint just so, before I can settle down and put my mind to the paint.
It's the same with writing.  I call it wearing my lucky socks to approach it the same each time.  It's calming I guess.  It's also a little, um, something else, maybe.

Seems like there are two main ways lucky socks could work.
One, it's a flat out superstition.  Sympathetic magic.  If I had blue socks on the night my team won, and I wear blue socks each time there is a game, well then, they will win again.  Rules of magic, it is.  As anyone knows more than I do, there are many superstitions of the same kind.  

Two, it's just the restfulness of habit.  If I feel comfortable in my 'blue socks' I might just do a better job of whatever.  I guess it could just be an outward and visible sign of a centered and ready state.



No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year