Monday, January 2, 2023

I Call It A Miracle

I have noticed this facet of how love works.

When I was still in, perhaps, junior high school I noticed a phenomenon.  That being that when I first met a new classroom full of students I would think they all looked impossible and perhaps incredible.  But, soon, they would begin to look like human beings, after a few days, and then positively adorable in a few cases and pretty ok in the rest.  It took my mind a few days to accept their appearances and personalities as desirable. Soon the world would, so to speak, arrange itself around the players, instead of the players failing at their parts.

Later, I noticed the same thing with loved people as I began to love them.  Instead of judging the loved face by the rules of accepted attractiveness, the world, in my mind, had to adjust itself to the loved one.  This must be bonding in action.

Maybe it's a kind value shift.  The world becomes less important, and the loved one takes on the position of the center of gravity, and the rule by which all is judged becomes that loved one.

I think this might be a mundane echo of something far more important.  

In my belief system, where is the center of gravity?  Who judges whom?  Is the pot still complaining to the potter?  Or is love so settled on This loved one, that nothing else compares?

I do not attempt to preach, it's just an idea I have been ruminating on in my munchy cowish way.


(I still can't believe anybody reads this stuff.  I am so privileged.)

No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year