Saturday, January 14, 2023

All Those Crazy Dietary Trips I Went On

Why I am so tired of the subject.

I used to think I could fix anything if I just tried hard enough.

The devil incarnate.  Home made sour dough bread. 

1. When I was about ten, the doctor and my parents thought I was a bit chubby.  So they put me on amphetamines. I don't remember much about it after that.  Fortunately, my parents were not what you would call persistent, so that blew over.

2. At the community college and living in town away from home I used to live on Sego, a diet drink meant to replace meals.  Chocolate was bearable.  I was not fat.  I was insane.  We always think we are fat at that age.

3. I don't remember anything special later at the U.  I think I was busy, but not insane.  Then I got married.  Things get a little hazy food wise after that. I remember a lot of rather fraught stir-fries.  

4. I was always reading advice books on how to make your life sublime.  The first one I remember was Sugar Blues, by someone named William Dufty.  Low Carb.

5.  My mom was a follower of Adele Davis.  I read all of those too.  Heavy on the nutrition.  Mostly sound I think.  Not a "diet" writer.  She was a big promoter of brewer's yeast. And wheat germ.

6. I tried totally fat-free for eight months.  I realized I had to quit when I began hallucinating the smell of freshly cut onions. Really!  And I was crying all the time for some inscrutable reason.  It was not doing the magic remake of my whole being that it was supposed to.  It was too crazy.  

7. I read up on healthy fats in a great huge book called Nourishing Traditions.  It's a very good book and I recommend it.  Lots of good ideas and recipes and nice philosophy of eating.

8. I read Marilyn Diamond's book on vegetarianism.  I also had the Vegetarian Epicure books.  That way was nice.  Very pleasant and easy to live with. Of all the crazies this was the most pleasant to me.  Not fat free.

9. I did an AA type of thing but for eating.  Very strict.  Very effective.  Oh G*d, then there was Weight Watchers.  I must have an ordnung gene somewhere in my makeup.  Means order, if you don't speak-a the Kraut.

10. I did very radical low carb. It's easy, but I get sick of eating things that had been living animals.  My body is a carnivore, but my head is a buddist monk or something.  Always with the bifurcation.  

In all of this, I have learned a few things that I believe to be true.

A. Though it is a great weariness, it is a blessing to have food.  This has not always been the case with human beings.

B. Cooking at home is best for many reasons.  It just works better.  Also cooking from normal unboxed ingredients is best.  Factory food is full of bad mana!  It is manufactured to make money and stay in business.  Your being well is secondary, if that much.

C. Some people can eat starchy food and be just fine.  I can't.  Dang it. My idea of a good time is a bowl of buttered short grain white rice.

D. Eat plants.  They are good for you.  We all know this.  If you don't have time to make a nice salad or veg. dish, eat a big raw carrot and an apple.

E.  Apparently, more or less, depending...people are carnivores.  Our digestion is more like a wolf's than any other animal.  We can do meat and plants very well.

F. I am still undecided about dairy.  I know G*d made that cow milk to grow big old 200 lb calves with.  What does that tell me?  I really like cream in my coffee and I like cheese, and kefir and yogurt.

G. Yeah, water is good.

H. Butter.  From grass fed cows is damn near medicine for the soul and body!

I. Sugar is a refined product like cocaine. Bad for you.  Feeds cancers.

🍏

During the nice long chat with old auntie on the phone the other day we both laughed when I said that I felt that I had done quite a bit of cooking and had gone off it a bit.  Ha ha.  Beeg Joke.

What a long strange trip it's been.

It really is a First World Problem. Though I am grateful really, I am also tired/bored/lazy.  Is that not the human condition all in a thimble?

This is just me talking about me.  It's more descriptive, than prescriptive.  I do think it's true though.

thanks to pointman for posting this in the recent past

No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year