Sunday, September 11, 2022

Noted In Passing, A Memory That Has Reached Its Majority

We all know where we were that morning.  Its a day forever embedded in memory.  Each Sept 11 reminds us.  In 2009 that day, we were on a cruise, of all things, going to Alaska, or coming back.  Not sure which.


 Over on this coast, the story was remote in a way except for couple of details.  

We were asleep.  In those days I often had one earbud in, listening to my radio station.  I was dozing and I noticed Peter Jennings saying something. That got my attention, because he was never on my station.  I began to listen and heard the story begin.  I think at that point it was just the first plane.

We used to have a tv.  I leapt up, ran out to the tv and switched it on.  I yelled at Bird, "wake up, we're under attack"...and that day began like that.

I called my son at work.  They hadn't heard yet...and fumbled with their tv and computers there...

The point that wasn't remote for us is that our daughter had been in Japan on a Fullbright and was in the air coming home.  Right then.  How she finally made it home a few days later after they landed in Canada is a long story of its own.  But she did get home, to NYC.

One year it was Colorado, but always noted in passing.  A day like a wound.  In fact, a wound.

There is not music that really fits, so here is Tom Waits singing about blue skies.  There was a really blue sky that day. I remember that.



No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year