Saturday, April 15, 2023

A Couple Of Comments On Decency

 


Let It All Hang Out!

I like, as a hobby, to look at words that everyone uses and believes that they understand.  Sometimes their meaning has changed and sometimes it has just become blunted from overuse.  “Nice” is such a word. 

In general, I think the word decent has devolved into meaning dressed enough to cover the naughty bits, at least.  As in “are you decent?”

That seems an odd evolution, to me.  How did that happen?

When I look up the word decency I get “honest,polite behaviour that follows accepted moral standards and shows respect forothers”.  OK

Now decent; “to do what people or society expect,especially in a difficult situation.” Or, in the case of clothing, to have enough on to be seen by others. So, it makes sense, caring enough about other’s feelings to not make them uncomfortable and again, to comply with accepted norms. 

💭😁💭

I think we all know by osmosis what decent or decency mean.

I wonder about the world out there though.  When you watch a tv, or read a popular website or magazine or whatever…is there any sign that they know?  An awful lot of celebrities must not have heard the word from their mommies.

I believe that shameless is more the spirit that I see at work in the world. Maybe not among people in their private lives so much as in media.  I have to hope that people at home are caring at least of their family members enough to be decent to them?

It’s hard to be decent while you are being shameless.  Shameless doesn’t care about anyone else or their feelings, or maybe it cares about a special group that counts more than others.

Shameless is greedy and grandiose, self-centered and even cruel.

I think that decency in a person’s dealing with other people might be an outward sign of GOD’s presence inwardly.

I think it’s hard to fake.   It seems to me that we have a kind of radar, or Holy Spirit indwelling, more or less, that warns us of the type of person we are dealing with, decent or not!




No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year