Thursday, November 30, 2023

So, Do Ya Ever Play With Your Mashed Potatoes?

 


When the Irish play with their mashed spuds they call the dish Champ.


Or Colcannon.  


But the Brits do this Bubble and Squeak thing.  I asked a waitress in Canterbury what part of this dish is the bubble.  I didn't get a clear answer.  Maybe she didn't really know, or she thought this American was teasing her?


I am of the opinion that the frying sound must be the reason for the name of the dish.  Jamie agrees, or I agree with him?

Now, if you are from potato country, like Math Mom or I, you are going to have some experience with spuds.  For some reason we never called them taters.  Maybe it's one of those location things.

Feeding the children over the years I have done a lot of silly things with mashed potatoes.  Sometimes I stirred grated cheese into them.  If they were cold leftovers I would stir some eggs in them and a bit of flour and cook them like little pancakes.  I have made both Champ and Colcannon though I didn't know that was what I was doing. 

I have put bits of meat in, anything.  The young gobblers will eat it!  It also makes a good top layer for a Shepherd's pie, if you're using lamb, or just a sort of pot pie thing if you're using beef.

I have barely touched the subject of how to play with your mashed potatoes!  A fine homey and friendly subject.

You knew this was going to happen, right?






No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year