Thursday, November 9, 2023

Is Time A Joke?

 


Well, of course I’m kidding, but I wonder. Time sure is wrinkly these days. 

I’ll tell you what I mean. Days go by sedately. Each day passes rather like the next or the last. But there is a funny point at especially time to go beddy byes. I will be feeling like I just did this. Surely it has not been twenty-four hours since the last time!

It feels as if my days are folded accordion style. Why are some points so pointy and some slip by un-noticed? As an aside, some time ago, it occurred to me that if repetition is getting to me that I had better make a point of enjoying those repetitive activities. 


As everyone always says, it was not so in my youth!

Days stretched by like a jail sentence while present at school. Summers were rich in careless unwatched time.

I felt that I would be a child forever while the century ground on slowly, barely perceptibly. No accordion folds then. Days were stretched tight.

Then there is lost time. It happens. If time ticks by in a regular fashion, ha, how is this possible?

Sometimes what has happened does not mesh with the time elapsed. What? That happens too.

Sometimes it’s just perception, but not always.

I have an untested theory. At the beginning of our lives as thinking beings we have little experience and therefore things happening are greater in our perception. By the time I was the age I am now so much has happened that I just don’t feel the same about it or perceive the passage of time with the same intensity. Possibly I am just not paying attention like a child does.

OTOH, maybe I am beginning to feel eternity in some way. I am still working on this. I am here, but not as firmly here as before. The gears are a little worn and sloppy perhaps. Perhaps preparing for a shift of state feels like this?


No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year