Wednesday, November 1, 2023

Getting By, And Then There Is Soup

 


We enjoy talking about food and cooking, don’t we? It’s something everyone must do or have done for them.

In my life as a home cook there were long times when what I was doing could have been called making something out of darn little. In a way, it was a game and had fun aspects. The kids thought nothing of it, and it kept me busy and out of trouble. Right.

There was a lot of soup.

My approach to soup making is a method, not a recipe. I have often said in watching videos of housekeeping in other parts of the world, that a woman is a person who chops an onion. This is where that onion comes into the picture. Many a manly man has also chopped an onion, let it be said!

First, I sauté a chopped onion in butter or olive oil. If I have celery or carrots, I will usually add those to the pot, also chopped. I might add parsley here if I have some.

As any cook knows, the point is to start building a flavor base, especially if I didn’t have any strong broth, which I usually didn’t.

Vegetable soup is very forgiving. You can put anything in it! I usually used lots of potatoes, chopped cabbage, a can of chopped tomatoes etc, lots of garlic, a reasonable amount of pepper and salt.

Or you can go the cream soup direction, adding mushrooms or broccoli or whatever and finish with some halfnhalf.

One of my favorites is codfish chowder.

It’s quick and very easy and good with crackers, toast, biscuits or maybe cornbread!

1. Saute’ chopped onion and celery in butter. Amounts depending on how much soup you want. Parsley would be good also. Small handful.

2. Add quite a few chopped potato chunks. Peeled if russets, don’t bother if yukons. Salt and pepper here.

3. Add water just to cover the vegetables. At this point I add some dashi pellets, you know it’s like Japanese fish bouillon.

4. Then I put the raw codfish in to cook on top of the spuds. If I have no fish, sometimes I add a bag of frozen corn. Then of course, it’s corn chowder. Don’t use Dashi with corn, maybe some chicken bouillon would help though.

5. Next, I add the halfnhalf or whole milk if you prefer. Light milk won’t do. The amount would sort of double the contents of the pot.

6. Allow it to simmer for a bit. Correct seasoning and there it is!


So, what do you think about soup?

I even like it for breakfast. I love Pho’ which is too much trouble to make at home. I also love hot and sour Chinese soup. Wonton soup. Sizzling rice soup!

It’s just about all good. And I haven't even mentioned the world of chili and pea soup.....

No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year