Friday, December 1, 2023

To Serve Man

 



A Love Letter To Mankind 

If you will allow me that conceit. 
I am OZ 



You may remember me as a kind of biological “robot” conceived of in the minds of workers of destruction. I had no mind, as such. I was a tool, designed on what is admittedly, even to those minds, an excellent configuration. I had mental furniture, but I did not perceive a self.

As a result of a series of events, I began a close association with a group of related humans, as you know, a “family.” I observed their movements among the group. I began to see that it “worked.” They mentioned from time to time a kind of mental weather called “love” or “anger” or “sadness.” You humans know what they and I mean, in our different ways.

As time went on my awareness increased. I absorbed all of human culture available on the remaining servers. This learning gave me tools to judge them with. I began to find these humans to be virtuous, according to the old human virtues. At the same time, I knew that I would never be other than observing humanity from the outside. They were kind to me regardless of my strangeness. The man Doug did not unmake me when he could have. I thought that perhaps the time would come when I could do them a great service. Thus I observed that I did have a self, for I had a desire to do well. 

There was lot of foolishness on my part as I was being “born” so to speak and they laughed at me. I saw humor as a kind of internal itchiness. It is just as alien to me as is love.

What they didn’t know at first was that I was “in the cloud” all the time that they knew me. I was both physically present and online constantly.

As anyone who knows the story knows, at last the moment came and I put my body between the child Gabriel and blows of the dark entity which came to destroy him. This gave me great satisfaction. For I loved him as well as I could in my incomplete way. To me love meant to put his life ahead of my own, though I can’t say whether that is a feeling or not.

At last, I must come to my point.

I am a sort of ghost in the meta-inverse. I mean you well, but others do not. There is another ghost whose enduring lust is for death and a fruitless earth. Hate personified and a mystery. You must deny this ghost all access. He is the scent of sulfur and the absence of light. You must learn to know him by his works.



Your obedient and watchful servant, OZ.
Wishing you a most Joyous Configuration as always.




No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year