Rick’s kind of an old-school guy in some ways. So, this Monday morning, as he settled down at his desk, he had the Monday paper in one hand and his coffee in the other. It was still nice and quiet in the ranger station office. Dexter hadn’t appeared. All serene.
Then he opened the paper, scanned the front page type news, including the national catastrophes. He turned the page, and began to read some local stuff. Ho-hum!
One headline came at him like a bolt out of the blue.
Honey Bear Sighted in Maple Heart Campground
Rick sat up straight! Maple Heart
Campground was right where he was sitting right that very second. This was news
to Rick, as well as to readers of the Milltown news.“What’s a Honey Bear, for Heaven’s sake?” Rick asked himself. But he had a bad squirrely feeling in the very bottom of his gut. He read on.
The character who said he saw the Honey Bear, was a farmer from flyover country visiting the PNW. Now, he didn’t explain what one was, but apparently it was important enough to get ahold of the sheriff’s dept and make a report.
“But not me?” said Rick. He read on. This sighting had occurred in the evening. OK. So, He hadn’t been in the office. OK.
Dexter arrived on lightly tripping feet with a goofy look on his face.
“What’s a Honey Bear? You got any idea?” said Rick.
“Um. Kid’s cereal?” said Dexter.
“Nope. Some goober says he saw one Saturday night in the camp here. It was enough of a big deal for him to call the sheriff’s dept and make a report. You don’t suppose..?” said Rick, staring off into the middle distance and feeling his sense of ease draining away.
“You’re thinking that might be farmer talk for one of these Forest People?” said Dexter, losing the goofy grin. “Maybe you better talk to Ralph.”
“Yeah, we know who’s really the boss around here,” agreed Rick.
Therefore, Rick went out to his service vehicle, took a seat behind the steering wheel, and beeped out an SOS on his horn, and then waited.
In about 17 minutes Rick could see Ralph standing right inside the tree line. He was gesturing to Rick to come to him. OK.
Rick piled back out and went into the forest.
“You got an emergency?” said Ralph.
“Do you know what a Honey Bear is? There’s a story about a Honey Bear sighting here in the camp in the paper this morning. It doesn’t sound good. It sounds like some farmer was talking about one of you guys,” said Rick. “It was two nights ago, so he says.”
“Hm, that does sound suggestive,” said Ralph. “I’ve never been called a Honey Bear, but you never know what these old timers might come up with!” He was giggling, hugely, which is truly awesome.
“I betcha I know who it was. I told him that the campground was off limits. OK, let me think.”
Ralph leaned on a tree; Rick waited. Maeve flew over but didn’t stop.
“I know how to fix this, Rick. Tell you what. I’ll make myself look like a big old goofy bear and tonight I will raise enough of a ruckus in the campground that I will be seen. Problem solved. It was a bear! Of course, it was a bear! Simple!” said Ralph. “The next thing I will do is get ahold of who I think the culprit is and have a nice long talk with him about blowing MY cover in addition to his own,” said Ralph.
“Why are we standing in the trees?” said Rick.
“I just had a feeling, yanno?” said Ralph. “I feel elusive today.”
“Who am I to doubt it,” said Rick. “So, you think that will work? Settle the public mind, the little dears?”
“Remember, Rick, it’s always a bear. No matter what they say they saw, no they d’n’t. They saw a bear! Just play dumb, whatever you know!”
“I can do that,” said Rick. Assuaged, he went back to his office. He threw the paper in his wastebasket, and got a fresh cup of coffee.
“Everything OK,” said Dexter, who had waited to hear the word from Ralph.
“Pretty sure, might take a day or two,” said Rick, opening his laptop and starting to poke around in it.
Now, when Ralph got back home, in the bosom of the Great Forest, he said hi to Ramona.
She said “Hi, Honey,” and Ralph cracked up.
It took a couple of minutes for him to settle down enough to explain.
🧡🐻🧡
No comments:
Post a Comment