LATEST RELEASE... 2/19/26... The Forest is Forever: No. 3 in The Collected Ralph Stories

Tuesday, September 15, 2026

Suzy's Dilemma

 


            “OK, Suz, dish,” said Toots, firmly. “Just exactly what’s pulling your tail?”
            “Funny you should mention my tail,” said Suzy. She was in full retreat under some unstated piece of furniture at the time.
            “What’s funny about it?” inquired Toots.
            “Well, it’s my tail. They don’t actually pull it, but they sure do chase it, and Toots, they are so big now, I just run and hide!”
            “I see. Have you considered standing your ground?” Toots looked thoughtful.
            “I think the both of them would run right into me. I don’t know? Maybe they think they could eat me!” said Suzy.
            “No, Honey. I understand that you are dealing with a reflex that comes natural to me too. But I’m pretty sure it’s a game for the big stupid kittens. I think that if you put your paw down firmly and faced them without running away, well, where’s the fun in that for them. You would suddenly become just a little old lady cat who wouldn't put up with their foolishness.
            “I’ve heard the word dumheit used around here. I think I get the sense of it. That’s what they’re doing and they need a firm paw taken with them!” said Toots.
            “But, Toots, I don’t know how to change my basic nature!” cried Suzy. “When those big strong, fast kids come running at me, well thinking is over with. I turn tail!”
            “I like to think that I wouldn’t do that. But I might. There are things on the cosmic breeze sometimes that make me just hide until it’s over, whatever it is,” said Toots.
            “What I’ve been doing is screaming as loudly as I can when one gets too close to where I have hidden,” said Suzy. “She calls them out, and they back down. But it’s a temporary reprieve. Though today, I had a nice quiet time in the bedroom with the door closed, and my own bowl of food. She did that for me.”           
            “I can feel that you feel there is no solution, but maybe there is. You know what I’m thinking don’t you?” said Toots.
            “Yeah, I do. We two are gathered together, so it’s time to Purr™ about this. Maybe the Great Sire of all cats will take notice of my dilemma, Toots.”
            “I’m sure of it, and I’m sure things will improve. If nothing else, the Scouts will grow up and not be so silly,” said Toots.
            “We should contemplate peace,” she added.
            So the girls, each in her separate place, so far from each other, shut their green eyes, put their noses down on their forepaws and Purred together, as one, for peace between Suzy and the Bengal Brothers.

AMEN!
❤️

No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year