Dianne thought about the river trip
for a few days. But really, she was thinking about the blond child in the air
and the blue light, inexplicable, beautiful, and compelling. She had to know
more.
Just plunging into the forest hadn’t worked. She and Larry had found out exactly nothing that way. In fact, it seemed as if the very forest had rejected them. Dianne thought there must be a way. She figured she would leave Larry out of this particular venture. He didn’t even admit to having seen what they absolutely did see.
She decided to investigate on her own. This involved getting a ride upstream with the yellow inflatable raft. There was a park with river access. Her brother was willing to assist. He left her there, afloat, and promised to pick her and the raft up in town when she got there. All she had to do was call. Their parents were not consulted. They didn’t want to worry them over a little solo rafting trip. After all, the river was a sweet calm little river and Dianne would wear a floatation vest.
It was a pleasant afternoon trip downstream. She passed stands of trees, farm fields, houses, and all, just as she and Larry had done before. She knew she would recognize the right spot. It was rather memorable with its huge Douglas firs standing near the river, and that particular large granite boulder.
She thought of the laughter they had heard on the beach. It didn’t dissuade her.
When she got to the right spot, the water thinned out near the west bank of the river, it ran slowly over the pebbles. Dianne steered the raft into that shallow water and then onto the very beach itself. She climbed out, getting her feet wet, pulled the raft further up onto the beach, took its rope and tied it around the boulder. So far, so good.
The rest of the plan was to sit there and wait, and see if anything happened. Maybe she’d try some dialog with whatever lived in that section of forest. It couldn’t hurt to try.
So, she picked a likely looking bit of river driftwood and sat down. She looked all around herself.
The beauty of the place distracted her and quieted her thoughts. On the opposite bank there were the same tremendous firs as the bank where she sat. The water ran smoothly, but not silently. It seemed to sigh, or murmur subvocally. One gull, a long way from the salt water screamed from way up high. Crows added their harsh commentary. The sun glinted on the moving water. A mysterious woody scent came to her, and like scent does, it reminded her of something. But she couldn’t say exactly what.
Rising up behind her were mountains. Implacable, silent, so very present, saying nothing audible
Then she remembered with a start why she was there.
She folded her hands and shut her eyes. She spoke.
“I just want to know who you are. I come in peace, as they always say, but I really do.”
She felt the wind lift her hair a little. The cuffs of her jeans were still dripping. Her feet felt cold in their wet socks and Keds.
“I’m good at keeping secrets, if that matters a lot,” Dianne said. She waited.
“I’m not going away,” she added. Then she laughed at the incongruity of the situation.
Someone sat down beside her. She opened her eyes and turned to her left.
She was startlingly beautiful. That was Dianne’s first impression. Then she noticed the hair, so many colors combining to create the effect of a rich complex light brown. She must have stood around seven feet tall when standing. She was some kind of epic female figure. Her eyes were blue and amused, but a little reserved looking.
Dianne didn’t dare speak, in fact, she was speechless.
“You saw my daughter and my grandson,” said Ramona softly. “He was in his star form.”
“It was an accident,” said Dianne. “We didn’t mean to sneak up on anybody.”
“The man isn’t here,” said Ramona.
“He won’t admit that we saw anything. I left him in town,” said Dianne. “I couldn’t stop thinking about what I saw.”
“Well, since you won’t go away, I thought I would come and sit with you for a while.”
“Oh! Did you hear me? Were you nearby?” said Dianne.
“I did! You came to solve a mystery, so here I am to help you. The bones of the story is that those like us live apart from those like you, in forests, on mountains, in deserts, wherever there are the means to do so. My family lives near here.
“Most of humanity thinks we’re a charming folk story, or something like a horror story. Some find the story horrible, and some can let it be. Some want to be involved.
“My English name is Ramona. The children you saw are Cherry and Koba. We like to name our children after beloved natural things. Koba means star though.”
“I’m Dianne.”
“Which kind are you, Dianne?”
“I think I’m the kind to let it be. I just couldn’t forget. I kept thinking and wondering. And I won’t tell!”
“It’s pretty hard to catch us with our guard down. Maybe that bunny Cherry and Koba were chasing bolted for a reason. Maybe we were meant to meet?
“The forest protects us. Also, it’s unlikely that anybody gets past Ralph, Cherry’s father without a reason. But I’m glad you can keep a secret. Will you keep ours?” asked Ramona.
“Yes.”
“Thank you,” said Ramona. “Want some help getting that raft back out into the river?”
Since the interview seemed to be at an end, Dianne accepted Ramona’s help. She untied the raft from the strange big rock, and climbed into the raft and Ramona shoved it out deeper into the river.
“I’ll never forget,” said Dianne.
“I won’t either!” said Ramona.
As Dianne drifted down toward the west, she saw Ramona step back among the trees.
Just plunging into the forest hadn’t worked. She and Larry had found out exactly nothing that way. In fact, it seemed as if the very forest had rejected them. Dianne thought there must be a way. She figured she would leave Larry out of this particular venture. He didn’t even admit to having seen what they absolutely did see.
She decided to investigate on her own. This involved getting a ride upstream with the yellow inflatable raft. There was a park with river access. Her brother was willing to assist. He left her there, afloat, and promised to pick her and the raft up in town when she got there. All she had to do was call. Their parents were not consulted. They didn’t want to worry them over a little solo rafting trip. After all, the river was a sweet calm little river and Dianne would wear a floatation vest.
It was a pleasant afternoon trip downstream. She passed stands of trees, farm fields, houses, and all, just as she and Larry had done before. She knew she would recognize the right spot. It was rather memorable with its huge Douglas firs standing near the river, and that particular large granite boulder.
She thought of the laughter they had heard on the beach. It didn’t dissuade her.
When she got to the right spot, the water thinned out near the west bank of the river, it ran slowly over the pebbles. Dianne steered the raft into that shallow water and then onto the very beach itself. She climbed out, getting her feet wet, pulled the raft further up onto the beach, took its rope and tied it around the boulder. So far, so good.
The rest of the plan was to sit there and wait, and see if anything happened. Maybe she’d try some dialog with whatever lived in that section of forest. It couldn’t hurt to try.
So, she picked a likely looking bit of river driftwood and sat down. She looked all around herself.
The beauty of the place distracted her and quieted her thoughts. On the opposite bank there were the same tremendous firs as the bank where she sat. The water ran smoothly, but not silently. It seemed to sigh, or murmur subvocally. One gull, a long way from the salt water screamed from way up high. Crows added their harsh commentary. The sun glinted on the moving water. A mysterious woody scent came to her, and like scent does, it reminded her of something. But she couldn’t say exactly what.
Rising up behind her were mountains. Implacable, silent, so very present, saying nothing audible
Then she remembered with a start why she was there.
She folded her hands and shut her eyes. She spoke.
“I just want to know who you are. I come in peace, as they always say, but I really do.”
She felt the wind lift her hair a little. The cuffs of her jeans were still dripping. Her feet felt cold in their wet socks and Keds.
“I’m good at keeping secrets, if that matters a lot,” Dianne said. She waited.
“I’m not going away,” she added. Then she laughed at the incongruity of the situation.
Someone sat down beside her. She opened her eyes and turned to her left.
She was startlingly beautiful. That was Dianne’s first impression. Then she noticed the hair, so many colors combining to create the effect of a rich complex light brown. She must have stood around seven feet tall when standing. She was some kind of epic female figure. Her eyes were blue and amused, but a little reserved looking.
Dianne didn’t dare speak, in fact, she was speechless.
“You saw my daughter and my grandson,” said Ramona softly. “He was in his star form.”
“It was an accident,” said Dianne. “We didn’t mean to sneak up on anybody.”
“The man isn’t here,” said Ramona.
“He won’t admit that we saw anything. I left him in town,” said Dianne. “I couldn’t stop thinking about what I saw.”
“Well, since you won’t go away, I thought I would come and sit with you for a while.”
“Oh! Did you hear me? Were you nearby?” said Dianne.
“I did! You came to solve a mystery, so here I am to help you. The bones of the story is that those like us live apart from those like you, in forests, on mountains, in deserts, wherever there are the means to do so. My family lives near here.
“Most of humanity thinks we’re a charming folk story, or something like a horror story. Some find the story horrible, and some can let it be. Some want to be involved.
“My English name is Ramona. The children you saw are Cherry and Koba. We like to name our children after beloved natural things. Koba means star though.”
“I’m Dianne.”
“Which kind are you, Dianne?”
“I think I’m the kind to let it be. I just couldn’t forget. I kept thinking and wondering. And I won’t tell!”
“It’s pretty hard to catch us with our guard down. Maybe that bunny Cherry and Koba were chasing bolted for a reason. Maybe we were meant to meet?
“The forest protects us. Also, it’s unlikely that anybody gets past Ralph, Cherry’s father without a reason. But I’m glad you can keep a secret. Will you keep ours?” asked Ramona.
“Yes.”
“Thank you,” said Ramona. “Want some help getting that raft back out into the river?”
Since the interview seemed to be at an end, Dianne accepted Ramona’s help. She untied the raft from the strange big rock, and climbed into the raft and Ramona shoved it out deeper into the river.
“I’ll never forget,” said Dianne.
“I won’t either!” said Ramona.
As Dianne drifted down toward the west, she saw Ramona step back among the trees.
🍁🌲🍂
No comments:
Post a Comment