Saturday, February 24, 2024

Why Do They Call Them That And Why Do We Like Them?

The history of polka dots begins with the polka music craze—or more specifically, polka dancing. The dance, which comes from půlka, the Czech word for “half” (referring to the half steps used in the dance), began to sweep up dancers throughout Europe and the United States in the mid-1800s. In 1857, Godey’s Lady’s Book made the earliest known mention of the term polka dot. Before then, dotted patterns were sometimes called quiconce or dotted Swiss.


There.  Those are the basics.   We all knew it was a dotted pattern on fabric.  But I just wanted to ask why it is so compelling and wearable. I always feel great in polka-dots. I wish somebody could explain why a regular pattern of dots is so satisfactory.

I love them even though I associate them with photos of matronly ladies in the 40s and 50s. I also associate them with high fashion of the same era.

There was even a song!

They also suit children!


A History of Polka Dots, in Case You’re Wondering How They Came to Be


No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year