Friday, February 16, 2024

Just A Little Crow Tale

 


One that was rescued by Sam and stayed with us until it could fly.


I have nothing much up my sleeve today. So, I thought I would tell you a little bit about my youngest’s crow adventures at the University of Washington Medical Center. 


My girl has been a chemist in their lab for at least 16 years. Might be longer. She often eats her lunch outside of the building if the weather permits.

This has been going on for so long that the crows introduce their young ones to her. They all know her. In a way it fits because a famous crow researcher also works there at the University. I will include a video of his telling you all about it. 

In her experience crows are very curious and learn quite handily. Many of them have ankle bracelets on, which means they have already met Professor John Marzluff or his hench-students. So, they already know that people are interesting and a good source of food.

She shares her lunch with them. The only food they seem to find odd is jello! They can be quite insistent about requests for a handout. Getting the beady-eyed tipped head request is always good for a giggle. I will include some of her photos of some of her friend crows. 


One other funny thing about these guys is that at some point their parents “abandon” them to learn how to find food and make it in the world as a crow. Some of the kids’ attempts are pretty silly. They have to investigate everything to see if it is edible, including cigarette butts! Ew. They will attempt to eat anything that is of a suitable size. Poor things. And their feathers are all rough too. They look pretty bad. They don’t get all sleek and pretty until later. 

There are many tales that could be told about crows. I won’t go on except to say that a few years ago all the crows here in town were dive-bombing the local cops! I sure wonder what made them so mad. Crows don’t forget you. They are always up there paying attention!
Giveth me the chills!


  "CAW!"


No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year