Thursday, February 15, 2024

HE Will Wipe Away Every Tear

 




Where is the locus of meaning? 


Last evening I was thinking. Oh, I’m afraid so. I was thinking about where meaning exists for me. I was thinking that it must have a location.

Now, if meaning for me is located inside my earthly flesh, I am doomed. Even if it exists outside of myself. Say in my loved ones, loving them as I do. I am still doomed to sorrow. If I locate meaning in all of mankind, it still doesn’t work. For all of these things are passing away.

World peace. Good health. Good government? The climate? Art and culture? No matter how much I care, these things are passing away also. Even if I try to put it into love itself, I fail.

I am reminded, naughtily, of the Fugs song “Nothing.” A rather crude take on the same thing.

If I take any of the above for the source of meaning I put life out of order. I am struggling here to express something I am just now thinking of in an orderly fashion. Obviously I have heard similar thoughts for many years but I had not processed them through my own soul.

Perhaps when Jesus let his earthly life go as he did, one of the things he was doing was demonstrating that the flesh is doomed. This might not fit in proper theology. It’s just an idea I am working on.

However, if the locus of meaning for me is in the eternal now, in the realm of the spirit of God, then all else falls into place and I can love without committing idolatry.

This is my day after love day’s true love gift to all. It isn’t nice to make idols of those I love.


No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year