Monday, June 12, 2023

Riding Backwards On Sister A.

 


malcolm jones·As Ruth Mellinkoff famously set out in her seminal 1973 essay, Riding Backwards is a "Theme of Humiliation and Symbol of Evil" (and I would add, Folly too). The motif is thus a common ingredient of traditional state and folk punishments -- especially the charivari [Eng. 'skimmington ride']. I'm pinning here a representative selection of instances in late medieval and early modern art known to me. Happy to be emailed offsite: malcmjones1@gmail.com

Having now examined a great number of images of riding backwards, I must agree.  It seems to be a figure of evil, and humiliation in some cases.  

However, doesn't who is being ridden count? Right now I am considering Sister A., a close relative of Brother A.'s. 
Sister A. has a lot of requirements.  She must be dealt with.  Fed, watered, cleaned, clothed, and kept up.
She's a pretty useful old girl.  She carries you through this world.

I'm trying to make sure to be facing front and not letting her have her head, so to speak.  She's not a good leader. She runs amok!  She wants what she wants, when she wants it.  She is poor at self-sacrifice and patience.  Her love is shallow and self-serving.

For some reason, I was reminded of this music in reference to riding my little donkey rightly!



No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year