Saturday, February 4, 2023

For My Eye To Be Single

 I must know what I truly believe and stand on.


It would be wise to be standing somewhere solid.
Like human beings in all times, I have had opportunity to observe myself in action and to listen to my own words.  I see that I have had a tendency to hedge my bets.
I will hear God and concede that he is truth, and then I will indulge in a bit of sympathetic magic.  The disconnect is uncomfortable.

The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.  Matthew 6:22

I read several discussions of this verse and I am not sure they really got to where they were going.  Most said, instead of single, .......sound, clear, etc.  Then they went on to talking about a healthy lamp to the body.  What.
Seems to me that it refers to seeing things all of a piece, to be an agent of truth, no matter where it leads in life.  Untruth creates bastard "realities". 

After all:
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. James 1:17

God himself is all of a piece.  No strange inconsistencies.  I should watch for my own shadows and correct them.

What do I really believe?  I believe in boldness.  I must not indulge in craven bet hedging.  Boldness needn't be loud.  It must be firm.  

Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him. Even so, I will defend my own ways before Him.
Job 13:15
If I am firm, bold and fearless in trust, I can stand before him....fearless.

Shabbat Shalom

No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year