Monday, February 27, 2023

Death Of A Ninja

 



I must confess that I am a lover of gizmos, contraptions and doohickies.


This is just an example.  Not my kitchen. lol!
💜💀💜
I could have called this post Camping Out On My Mountain Of Stuff.  It's not all my stuff as you know. Over the past X number of years many object have come to nest here with us.  It's frankly terrifying.

My point is that most of it is archived.  Most of it never gets brought out and used. It's like we exist as caretakers of someone else's collections and we just camp among it. I wouldn't say that it is hoarding, but it's um well...crowded.  

I love gadgets that do clever, constructive things.  There are two knitting machines. Two treadle sewing machines.  I have no idea how many knitting needles. One little loom.  The VitaMix.  Two Cuisinarts.  Oh about three electric sewing machines. Two are electronic.  One spinning wheel. Two drop spindles.  Yards of books, including a couple hundred cookbooks.  There is the usual contingent of coffee makers.  One electric.  Two stove top espresso makers and three other manual coffee makers.  Two juicers and a Kitchenaid mixer.  It's terrible.  I'm sure there is more.  You get the idea. I wanted to do and make everything.  

There was also the Ninja air fryer, pressure cooker, slow cooker etc.  It was a cool contraption.  So cool.  Many functions.  Of course I didn't use even half of them. Yesterday the Ninja died a miserable death.  It began speaking gibberish and refusing to shut off.  I think it's in communication with the mothership.  I had to unplug the monster to get it to shut down.  It's going to a landfill.

I think this collection is fairly typical.  Americans have so much stuff.  Secondhand stores scare me.  We are like the people in Wall-e, the animated movie, living on a load of stuff all over the inhabited parts of the planet.  What to do, what to do?  Is there a solution?  Donating it just moves the problem out of the house.  There is a whole school of thought that says you can't bring anything new in unless something also goes out!  It sounds so good and so easy.

The wistful truth is that I know perfectly well how to keep house with just a few implements. You know, the way my life was before.  I dream of elegant simplicity.  I do. But, since confession is good for the soul..... I ordered a new Ninja tonight...


Not quite there. lol....

No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year