Wednesday, February 15, 2023

A Homely Meditation


 This odd little squiggle is the beginning of a raglan sleeved sweater that I am making for myself.  It is being made top down, so what you are looking at is going to be the neck opening. Collar or just a band added after main construction is done.    

I chose light green because of a color memory I have, of the first yarn anyone gave me when I was kid.  It made such a permanent impression on me that I decided to give way, though it's not a color I would normally think of wearing.  It is a coming full circle of sorts thing.

Why knit?  In a way it's a terrible waste of time.  But I find that it slows me down in a good way also.  It forces me to be logical.  You can't be illogical and get anywhere making a sweater.  I think while I knit.  I can just be.  There is no tension in it.  It is, in fact, easier to knit than not to knit!  It's like breathing.  In goes the needle, wrap the yarn, out comes the next stitch.  All is right with the world.  It is something that I can get right.  Getting something right is a great comfort. I feel centered.  I have faith.  

It also helps me listen to human speech without fidgeting, such as movies or other programming.  Speaking of which, here is a nice travel program from last night. Things are certainly built up since I was there in 1988!


Shalom!
๐Ÿ’“



No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year