Sunday, August 6, 2023

A Model Of Mechanical Efficiency

We were always assured that a person riding a bike was such an efficient mechanism that you basically got no exercise from it.  Now, it seems obvious to me that there must be a good reason bikes caught on like they did. Ahem.  Cough...

So. Obviously speed is an issue.  You plain get there faster on a bike, no matter how efficient it is.  You can carry stuff on a bike. You look very cool.

It has to more efficient than walking or running or no one would do it?  Would they? For the fun of it maybe.

I read a few exercise nut web pages.  They all describe the wonders of what a good workout you will get riding a bicycle. So, I assume that is true, if you ride far enough and long enough, but you will get there really efficiently!

The type of bikes we had as kids were really simple.  No speeds.  Just the one. But they worked.

Mechanical Efficiency in Cycling of Boys Seven to Fifteen Years of Age

My most exciting bicycle story is about the time my brother and I were riding down through a steep pasture.  Yeah. Anyhow there was a boulder in front of me and I was going pretty fast. I hit the boulder, went flying through the air and came down entangled with the bike!  It knocked the wind out of me!  Funny feeling.  Took a few seconds or minutes to start up again.  My brother thought I was dead!  lol!  Poor kid.

We also used to like to ride down the steep gravel hill near home no hands!  Parents did not know this.  We never mentioned it.  Also never crashed.  I guess angels must have attended us?

Got any good bike stories?


Looks kosher to me.  Yup.


No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year