Monday, May 22, 2023

The Trip To Colockum Pass


 One time around ten years ago my navigator/last child decided that she would like to drive the Colockum Pass between Ellensburg and Wenatchee WA.  She did her homework.  It seems that Trip Advisor, or some other worthy source assured her that is was doable by a normal vehicle.  Ok, then.

We gathered up the granddaughter who was a young teen at the time, and took off!  

Road was so rough it knocked a tire off the wheel kinda.  I kept going.  You know how it is.  I kept thinking that it would smooth out, and I sure didn't want to go back where we had been!

Here I am getting ready to put the other tire on.  Upon surviving the excursion, arriving in Wenatchee, I had to see Les Schwab about a tire.

The next photo actually looks smoother than I remember.
I do remember crossing a boulder strewn pasture/meadow and coming upon some men on ATVs who just watched me drive past with their mouths open.  It was almost worth it.  The cows seemed interested also.

In some spots my granddaughter was silent. Totally. I think we scared her.  But, as usual, I brought them home alive.


Final analysis, you can't always believe what people say in trip reports.  If you decide to drive this pass you need something with a lot of clearance or an actual ATV.  I did not find a map that would mean anything to people in other places.

The video is nice.  Flying over it would be fun.

Here is another take on the place.



The type of vehicles that you should drive over Colockum pass.

No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year