Sunday, May 14, 2023

So Shall We Dish On Our Mommies A Little?


 This is all true of her.  I never thought of it before!  She didn't even know she was like this.  She had no idea how Jewish she was. She koshered meat without even knowing what she was doing.  If asked, she would say so it didn't taste bloody.
Here she is shortly before she eloped with my 19 year old father.  That is his brother lurking behind her.  She was barely 16.  My parents were children! I arrived one year later.

All she ever really cared about was literally her children and then the grandchildren.  She had no other major interests. Oh and I guess she loved a good bargain and liked garage sales and all like that. Yes, and she did quite a bit of singing.

Her name was Inez.  But the family pronounced it with a long I and called her Inie.  



You can probably see in this photo, that she was a little bit feisty.  Feisty is one way of putting it. Also, she was terribly competitive.  She was 5' 10", and a basket ball team member at school, though she never went beyond 10th grade.

The last words I had with her a couple of days before she passed were few.  She could barely speak.  I wasn't sure how much she could process at that point, but knowing where her heart had always been, I told her that she had been a good mama. She said that I had been a good daughter.  I'm not sure she always believed that, but maybe I was forgiven then.

I didn't expect to cry, writing this.  But, there ya go.


No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year