Saturday, March 11, 2023

Some Of My Best Painting Influences, Leaving Out A World Of Others!




I thought it might be of interest to gather and display some of my earliest influences in painting.  There are so many painters.  Centuries of the work of these men and women.  It takes a certain pinpoint focus to attempt to narrow the list down to this extent, but I'm going to do it. I think it shows a direction.

The first real, in person, paintings I saw in a museum context were some Van Goghs. I was, of course, lol, influenced to a degree.

Leaving out Van Gogh and Singer-Sargent, I mostly like symbolism and tend that way myself.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy this very brief presentation of works that always live at the back of my mind.





The Red Tree House is my favorite.
************************************************************************
My next strongest influence would have to be Gustav Klimt.  Here are a few of  his paintings. 



This is the pivotal work for me!
I love it so much.



I am loving the use of metallic gold recently.
____________________________________________________
Then there is good old Marc Chagall! I love how he ignores gravity, among other things!



🟔
___________________________________________________
Most beloved of all this group of painters is John Singer-Sargent! His use of paint is wicked good. 



_________________________________
And then, though he is not a painter primarily, and not thought of as a fine artist, and is in fact prone to ugliness, R. Crumb.  He could turn out a very fine drawing when he wanted to!  I have always been impressed by his drawings.





Could it be?  Ralph and Frau taking a snowy stroll?

Thanks for indulging me!


No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year