Friday, September 1, 2023

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To This Forum

 


In the last 500 and change number of posts we have put on this blog page I have learned a few things that I didn’t really expect. I will try to list a few of them. I am sure that after I post this more will come to mind.

1. There are some subjects that readers respond to that are pretty dependable.  I think of them as comfortable subjects.

Pets, cars, food, tangible relatable stuff. The misbehavior of cats is usually well received.

2. Some subjects such as experimental fiction, ie., fairytales are a bit riskier.  Sometimes people seem to really like them. Sometimes not. I have to go by the number of hits and the number of comments elicited.

3. Just because I like something doesn’t mean it will ring a bell with anyone else.  It also might mean I didn’t do a good job of making it interesting.  Word studies.  I find them lots of fun. Either others may not, or they do but they don’t feel like discoursing on the subject. 

Not that I want to, but there is no way to force the reader to respond to something they find boring or distasteful.

4. Some things are so true that it’s hard to find anything more to say about them.

5. Some things are such a drag that we just don’t want to hear any more about them.

6. Scripture is always good and worth thinking about and posting! It is an endless source of utterly pertinent material.

7. Learning to make sense while writing is a cumulative experience.  You get a little better at it just by showing up and doing it. It’s almost like it’s automatic.

8. It’s good fun. It’s great to share the experience of writing for each other. I love reading material written by the readers. 

9. Meow readers are wonderfully good sports, witty and sweet.

10. The final chapter of a “novel” is more fuss and bother than the first chapter!

11. I write more, but LoneStar writes better!  Prof Farns is gaining on us with his stories!


No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year