Monday, September 11, 2023

Who Has Seen The Wind

 


Who Has Seen the Wind?

BY CHRISTINA ROSSETTI

Who has seen the wind?
Neither I nor you:

But when the leaves hang trembling,
The wind is passing through.



Who has seen the wind?
Neither you nor I:

But when the trees bow down their heads,
The wind is passing by.




I bet
that anyone who has gone to school in this country in the 50s or 60s or maybe even later, has heard this poem read to them by a schoolteacher. Who has seen the wind is one of those things. We know that we have not and cannot see the wind, but we know it by its movement, and we know the things it moves.

I have been thinking about the wind lately. In storms or even little breezes that move my neighbor’s wind chimes I sense something special. It makes me feel that something tangible from God is afoot. It alerts me. I wait for messages.

So, I checked out some well known verses on the subject of wind.

John 3:8

“The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”
These people are moved by the breath or Spirit of God, not by any natural force.

Acts 2:1
“When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them.”
The Spirit of God was definitely there!

Hebrews 1:7
Of the angels he says, “He makes his angels winds, and his ministers a flame of fire.”
Isn’t that lovely?

Maybe wind is a metaphor for movement, doing, something happening! Sometimes it is God moving us or the world. Sometimes it’s just a hint, a message saying, “here I AM!”

In great ripping, tearing storms I love to go out and just feel it. I love to be there in it and greet the Lord. I don’t think that I am alone in that.

No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year