Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Prayer vs Incantation

 




How is prayer different from incantation?

I think I might know, but I want to check it out. I found the word incantation interesting and got to thinking about the contrast.

incantation (n.)

"art or act of enchanting by uttering magical words, with ceremonies supposed to have magical power; the formula of words or the ceremony employed," late 14c., from Old French incantacion "spell, exorcism" (13c.), from Late Latin incantationem (nominative incantatio) "art of enchanting," noun of action from past-participle stem of incantare "to bewitch, charm, cast a spell upon, chant magic over, sing spells"

In this case the power is in the words themselves. (Of course, if we presume these things work, the power must actually come from somewhere besides the mere words.) But leave that for now. 

I have to posit that people who think their words hold the power are deceived.



prayer (n.1)

c. 1300, preiere, "earnest request, entreaty, petition," also "the practice of praying or of communing with God," from Old French prier "prayer, petition, request" (12c., Modern French prière), from Medieval Latin precaria "petition, prayer," noun use of Latin adjective precaria, fem. of precarius "obtained by prayer, given as a favor," from precari "to ask, beg, pray" (from PIE root *prek- "to ask, entreat").
In this case the power is in the One entreated or spoken to. Unlike spellcasting or enchanting, prayer puts oneself in a position of submission to God.

The reason I brought this up is that I was thinking about the various styles of prayer. It is tempting to think that fine words and many of them must work better than a few simple words spoken with trust. This is tricky because it is also possible to speak many fine words with complete faith.

It is possible that I feel badly about my few simple words. Of course, how I feel or how many words I speak are irrelevant. It is Who I address them to and what is going on my heart and mind at the time that matters.

In fact, I am sure that I should when I pray be aligning myself with God’s intentions, which involves thinking and waiting too. This is the complete opposite from an incantation, which attempts to rearrange the universe around a special set of words. It’s really kind of funny in a sad way that they even ever tried that. 
Today's incantations might morph into the area of assertions. 



Of course, I had been thinking on Matthew 6:5-7.

5“And when you pray, you shall not be like the [b]hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 6But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you [c]openly. 7And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.


No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year