Friday, September 15, 2023

I Walked Out

 



A watery oval dresser mirror. The kind you can tip to change the view. She sits on the little wooden bench before it, brushing her long hair out. A nightly ritual. She wears her dressing gown over a long-sleeved white nightgown. Her eyes are dark and deep. A small wrinkle distresses her brow as she regards herself. 

My hair flows down over my shoulders and reaches my waist. Does it need to be this long? If I had married Franklin I would be sitting in a fine house before a beautiful mirror. I would likely be a mother by now with a son or a daughter. Therein falls the shadow. I could not conceive of sharing a bed with Frank Lewis. So, I walked out. I paid a price. I don’t think he did, except for the embarrassment of having me leave him so precipitously.
Cordelia works for her keep. She teaches school for the 15 school age children in Legrande. In this town the children attend school until they are in eighth grade and pass certain required tests.

The children in her classroom originate from four families. She thinks of each one frequently. The Larsons send Millie 5, Susan 6, Ed 10, and his twin Will. The Roberts children are John 7, Marylou 10, Freddy 12 and Louise 15. The Matsons have little Fay 5 and her brother Taylor 9. Then there is the Belloni family and their five. Mario 5, Peter 7, Lily 9, Marco 12, and Justina 15.

Louise and Justina help with the five-year-olds. Louise is a slight little blond who looks young for her years but is wise. Justina is more blooming and has a sly sense of humor. When something foolish happens in class Cordelia and Justina’s eyes often meet in amusement.

None of this affords Cordelia much in the way of reimbursement. She lives in a pure cash economy. She has never written a check or had an account of any kind at any business. The small house is provided to the teacher, and she receives about $30.00 monthly in cash from Legrande.
I left home at 18 years of age. I had a high school diploma and that was good enough. I answered an ad and applied for the job of teaching school as far away from home as I could manage. I had some savings. Enough to resettle in the primitive little wooden town.

Some evenings she goes to supper at a student's home.  Tonight she does not.What does a lady who lives alone in a small rural town in c. 1910 cook for her own dinner.  I have only conjecture.  

Nevertheless, it is a pleasant evening. A soft scented breeze comes through the open window. Darkness comes, she lights her kerosene lamp and prepares for bed.


 Should you wish to read the paper, here is its address: https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/188059720.pdf




No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year