Sunday, July 23, 2023

Donkey Shine

 

Making a Bowline on a Bight Knot



I wonder if any of you have had this experience? 

Sometime in the late 50s, when we didn’t know any better, in one of those childhood sub-cultures that exist when you are a kid, we heard that in German you said donkeyshine for thank you. And we believed it.  We also thought German must be a very amusing language.

(This was years before anyone heard Wayne Newton sing that song.  Shudder. His pronunciation was not great.)

Of course, in time, I learned about danke schön, a nice polite, slightly formal way of saying thank you in German. Ah ha, thinks youthful p, connection made!

This little excursion is by way of introducing my evening thought this Saturday.

I want to thank all of you who have read and commented on the Meow all these months.  I also thank the mysterious lurkers. You have all been a pleasure and it has been my privilege to share the world of the mind with you.

I also want to thank LoneStar especially, without whose contributions things might not have gone at all well! I had quite a bit to learn.  Ahem. And I still get my foot in the bight from time to time.

It’s been fun! It’s also been a tremendous learning experience.

I surely hope to continue.  I wonder if we will match the 1001 nights of the old story!



No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year