Wednesday, May 18, 2022

Idolatry, or Oh No, She Has Been Ruminating Again

 My premise is that we can turn GOD himself into an idol.  Let me see if I can explain what I am on about.  The following photograph is of my grandparents on mom's side.  


This, of course, is not them.  It is a representation of a moment in two long lives.  If we say it is them we are being silly.

It has occurred to me that when we take one instance of GOD and say this is him, and freeze it and exclude anything else from that quarter...we have created an idol.  He is "controlled" and "limited" to what we think of him.

I also think this is why no figure of him was supposed to be made.  Its really limiting.

So, I think this could be a partial explanation for all the old concepts and beliefs about GOD in pagan times and places.  They saw something and they clung to that image.  Maybe.  If we leave out the demonic aspects.

Letting GOD be GOD is what?  Frightening.  Yeah, probably.  

In addition, here is a painting that I love.  You can see that the ocean is just over the little hump in the pavement.


No idea who painted it.

No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year