Sunday, January 21, 2024

Taking My Time

 



I have always been a hurrier. The faster the better was my way. I also appeared at least fifteen minutes early for appointments. 

This morning I was, as usual, hurrying to get ready to leave the house for a terribly urgent appointment. Right? Going to meet my daughter to go shopping. Not really all that urgent when I thought about it.

I was thinking about this as a way of life. Perhaps it’s wrongheaded. Perhaps it is a fruit of fear and lack of confidence. Lately I have been trying to determine where the center of life is. Is it out there somewhere or is it inside me.

Maybe I had been operating as if there was a timekeeper out there counting how long it took me to do what I needed to do. Who was this timekeeper, anyhow? Habit? Paranoia? Childhood training?

What would it be like if I moved at a relaxed but efficient speed? Would the world collapse? No, not really. I might even take the time to do a better job of whatever I was doing.

Maybe I have the God-given authority to do things in my own time!

Maybe I am meant to be at peace in all, the same as all of us are.

What do you think?

I'm taking the time for a number of things that weren't important yesterday...
***

Ecclesiastes 3

1 To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:

2 A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted;

3 A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up;

4 A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance;

5 A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together; a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;

6 A time to get, and a time to lose; a time to keep, and a time to cast away;

7 A time to rend, and a time to sew; a time to keep silence, and a time to speak;

8 A time to love, and a time to hate; a time of war, and a time of peace.

No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year