Friday, June 17, 2022

I Found Out What Prosaic Literally Means

I was going on the assumption that it meant predictable and common.  Nope.  It means PROSE, not poetry.  

Prosaic Has Literary Origins

In the past, any text that was not poetic was prosaic. Back then, prosaic carried no negative connotations; it simply indicated that a written work was made up of prose. That sense clearly owes much to the meaning of the word's Latin source prosa, meaing "prose." Poetry is viewed, however, as the more beautiful, imaginative, and emotional type of writing, and prose was relegated to the status of mundane and plain-Jane. As a result, English speakers started using prosaic to refer to anything considered matter-of-fact or ordinary, and they gradually transformed it into a synonym for "colorless," "drab," "lifeless," and "lackluster."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prosaic

Words that I want to look into, to re-examine come to me when I am "sleeping".  I was given prosaic last night.  Funny timing because yesterday's post ended up being partly about poetry, not really coffee.  

However!


 Just for fun, I include this:



No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year