Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Stanley, The Little Spud Who Could

 

Stanley and Sprouts




She stuffed me in the defunct  dishwasher in the dark with the rest of the spuds. I mentioned making a plan for freedom with the others, but no one caught my vision! I was alone, among some deeply frightened potatoes. 


I said to myself this ain’t me. I’m not going down like a common tuber does. 

I set to work. 

Given time, we all grow sprouts. She will just peel and use those guys anyhow. I had to do better. I had to stand out from the crowd! 

I gathered my not inconsiderable forces and grew. I grew sprouts, yeah baby! I grew some intense sprouts. But I didn’t stop there. Oh no. 

I grew itty bitty Stanleys right on those sprouts. She had to notice me now! They were hanging right out there. Totally unique. 

Everybody else in the spud bag was astounded and impressed, but totally left behind. We waited. 

Soon she decided to use some potatoes in some sort of liquid food. The mind shudders, but onward. 

Sorting through the others, she found me and as I expected, my super qualities earned me a special fate! 

I’m going out into a nice big pot of compost to do my thang as all good potatoes should. 


I guess the only uplifting thing we could possibly take from Stanley's story is that by trying extra hard, he exceeded expectations.....?




No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year