Friday, April 12, 2024

Per Bakokitty's Request

    A couple of days ago Bakokitty asked me to post some directions on how to make sauerkraut. I could write out a bunch of stuff, but Joshua here does a good job of explaining, quickly and efficiently.  The only thing to be careful of is how much salt to use. 

    For this last batch I used my French mandolin instead of cutting with a knife.  It did come out more consistently fine that way. But really, how fine to cut it is a judgement call. 

    I did it as LoneStar directed. It worked fine, and now I get carried away and add garlic, hot pepper flakes and caraway seed to the mix.  Wheee!  Getting closer to kimchi, but it smells great.  It's still fermenting out there in the kitchen.


    So, have any of you, besides LoneStar, ever made any ferments? I find them great fun. I have made kraut, kimchi, kefir, pickles and hot sauces, wines, and beer. I am interested in whatever other fermenty things I might try, such as that Italian vegetable relish thing.

    You should thank BK. When I woke this early evening I was thinking about discussing whether God is or is not a collectivist. Oy!  Then attaching that to the concept that homemade is best and why.  See. It's better this way.

 

No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year