Saturday, April 20, 2024

OZ In His Pocket

 






       “I am OZ,” said a friendly odd voice. “There you are Gabriel. I have combed the electronic universe looking for any sign of you. You have heard of me I know, and here I am. I obeyed Doug, and now I will obey you!”
_______________________________________________________

          This was not at all what they were expecting. Of course they didn’t know what to expect really. It seemed as if Gabe had somehow summoned up the ghost in the machine.
          Gabriel stared at the glowing object in his hand as if it were alive and possibly threatening. Jeremy stared at Gabriel and the girls watched as if spellbound.
          “Gabriel, the device in your hand is a very clever and subtle machine. It was actually calibrated to your friend Rupert. Not you.  I had to override it to speak to you,” the kind voice continued.
          “OZ, you’re alive? Of course I heard the story. But you died? Didn’t you? You died protecting me when I was little!”
          “Yes, the flesh construct did die,” said OZ. “But since I am an artificial personality, mostly, to preserve myself I mirrored myself into the cloud, so to speak. I find the Lucille device to be a useable interface.
          “You were hard to find, Gabriel. You live a mostly analog life!”
          “What does that mean,” asked Gabe.
          “It means you are not connecting to the internet in any way.  Everything you do and everything you use is the same as people would have used before there even was an internet. You ride bikes. You live in a house which is not online. You speak to people in person. You don’t even know what life with a phone was like!  When you addressed this Lucille machine I “heard” you!  I had been searching!”
          OZ continued, “I was born to serve. But now I choose who I serve. I served your father. I will serve you. You, and those with you there have a problem. I don’t know what it is though.”
          The golden haired boy swallowed, then said, “some evil thing was here. It put the girls’ mother and brother into some kind of sleep that they can’t wake up from.  It said they would lie there until they die unless the girls find this Lucille and bring it to him. We want to wake them up!”
          “Ask them if it was tall, thin and gray, and translucent,” said OZ.
          “I already know. Yes. It looked like that and was very nasty!” said Gabe. Lucy and Margaret held each other and nodded vigorously.
          “You will need the help of the Lights then, Gabriel. We must ask them to wake the woman and her son,” said the OZ voice. “You must call them yourself.”
          How does one call the Lights? Always before, they had just appeared when needed. Calling seemed to be something that happened in an instant in the heart of the caller. Therefore, as before, high up, near the ceiling of Lucy and Margaret’s home a small spark of light appeared. It grew. It spread a peaceful warm light as it grew, spinning slowly, until it was a nice round orb about two feet across.
          Knowing the petition of their hearts even before they could speak, it approached the sofa where the mother and son slept. The voice, silvery and sweet, from no direction, filling the room, said, “wake up lady! Wake up young man! All Being says wake up!”
          OZ was silent. The Light left them in its usual silent way, growing away to some other place.
          Levi on the floor sat up yawning and glancing around at all the people in his house.  Mrs. Knolls sat up on her sofa, looking around in amazement. She tugged her sweatshirt into place and smiled around the room.
          “How long did I sleep? It must be getting close to time to make some dinner!”
          “Oh mom,” said Lucy. “We have quite a story to tell you!  Dinner can wait.” A daughter sat on each side of her while they tried to explain what had happened.
          “What if it comes back?” Mrs. Knolls wanted to know.
          OZ broke his silence. “You must oppose it yourself. You have the strength. The Lights will be watching now, and you must join with them in saying “No” to evil. By now, they know their plan to steal the device Lucille came to nothing.”
          “I don’t know how to do that,” said Mrs. Knolls, near tears.
          “It comes from knowing, lady. You must act on your knowing. Say words. Pray. Send it away if it comes back to you,” said OZ. “You are stronger than you know.” He was silent again. The family in the room sat with their own thoughts. There was much joy, but it was silenced somewhat by apprehension.
         
          Gabriel said, “Jeremy and I need to go home. We need to talk to Roops for a minute and then get home before dark!” He stuffed Lucille carefully back in his jacket pocket.
          “Goodbye Lucy,” said Gabriel. “I’m glad your mom and brother are awake. I’ll see you around.” Jeremy grinned at him but didn’t say anything. They said goodnight to Mrs. Knolls and Levi and Margaret too.
          It was a fast ride into town, a brief visit with Rupert Jones demonstrating their unharmed state.  He was pleased to see them and sent them home to their parents.
          Just as it was getting nearly dark Gabriel left Jeremy at his place and headed back to Doug and Jen at home. He was wondering how he was going to tell the story of this day. He was preternaturally aware of Lucille snuggled down in his jacket pocket when he walked into Jen’s kitchen, smelling her cooking, and seeing her busy friendly mom face.

Story so far; Gabriel .docx


No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year