Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Defiance and an Open Thread

                                                                                                                                                    photo: R.A. Bird


    When I was a child, if I was being stubborn my mother would say that I was "defiant." She made it sound pretty bad to be defiant. Let's see about that.


defiance (n.)
c. 1300, defiaunce, "a challenge to fight, invitation to combat," from Old French desfiance "challenge, declaration of war," from desfiant, present participle of desfier "to challenge, defy, provoke; renounce (a belief), repudiate (a vow, etc.)," from Vulgar Latin *disfidare "renounce one's faith," from Latin dis- "away" (see dis-) + fidus "faithful" (from PIE root *bheidh- "to trust, confide, persuade"). By 1710 as "contempt of opposition or danger."

    By 1710 it meant contempt of opposition or danger. That seems to me to be what we need at this moment in time. I would recast it as refusing to cooperate with the transhumanist nutjob psychopaths.
    It seems to me that fighting evil must begin in each person's heart and intentions before any group endeavors can be possible.  
    It seems to me that we need to be as defiant as we can get and at the same time be where the Almighty wants us.  Defiant toward evil plotters and at the same time trusting and loving the Creator of all.
    Also, I would like to think about practical ways to resist. 



No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year