LATEST RELEASE... 2/19/26... The Forest is Forever: No. 3 in The Collected Ralph Stories

Monday, October 5, 2026

An Afternoon Chat with The Scouts

 


 
            It was just a regular early fall day in Milltown. I wasn’t doing much, so I was lounging around with the Bengal Scouts. Sometimes we just do that. Nobody has much to say, just kinda being there. Suzy used to take part in these little meetings, but not lately. In fact, Mr. Baby used to be there with us, but he’s visiting right now, and having a grand time, I might say.
            “Anything remarkable to report, boys?” I began. I knew what I was thinking about, but I was waiting to see if they would mention it.
            “I really gave you the slip today,” said Sweetie, proudly.
            “Mhm! Refresh my memory, Sweetie,” I said.
            “I dove into the bottom of the fridge, and you didn’t see me!” he giggled.
            “How did that work out for you?” I asked him.
            “I started hearing all this meowing and banging stuff around,” said Booker. “I knew it was him, but I thought maybe he was stuck under the fridge. I looked and looked, flat on my belly and I couldn’t see him!”
            “Yeah, I heard that too. I thought it might be a huge rat! Or maybe a sneaky cat,” I said.
            “I was afraid I would be stuck in there forever! So, I yelled and yelled,” said Sweetie.
            “It’s a good thing I didn’t leave the house, or something!” I said. “You would have been really cold, and Booker couldn’t let you out!”
            “It seemed pretty funny at first,” said Sweetie.
            “Yeah, it’s funny until it’s not,” I reminded him a little seriously. “I love you too much to have anything bad happen to you, you know!
            “Anything else?”
            “We think Suzy should come out and run with us, but she won’t,” said Booker. “She used to play with us!”
            “She’s always been super Cautious™, boys! It was all fun and games, until you got so big! Now she thinks you might run right over her, or maybe eat her. I don’t know.”
            I knew she was listening to the conversation. The desk isn’t that far away.
            “Suzy?”
            “I’m not coming out,” the little voice said.
            “Chicken!” yelled Sweetie.
            “Yeah!” said Booker.
            “Toots said they would grow up some day and stop chasing me. I’ll wait,” said Suzy.
            So, apparently, it’s a stalemate. Time will tell. I know the Scouts mean well, but are very enthusiastic in the chase. I guess, we’ll have to wait, like Suzy, to see how it all settles out. Meanwhile, we make adjustments, and carry on!
            And this is another, slightly augmented, Open Thread. Surprise!

💚😸😺😻💚

No comments:

PBird's Most Visited Posts In The Past Year